Thursday, 19 March 2009

After the flood is gone....

After the flood is gone, part 2

Weather here in Calgary can turn on a dime: two weeks ago, we had a chinook that sent huge amounts of meltwater into the storm drains. Unfortunately, the City of Calgary didn't bother opening the gates into the river and the water backed up rather severely in our neighbourhood.

We're fine, but not far away, there was some major damage, with a few houses still uninhabitable. Memorial Drive, the main east-west road on the north side of the river, was closed to traffic: you can see where the water was, and where the police were stationed to keep folks off the rather icky mess left on the tarmac.

Not that I had much time to dwell on the neighbourhood happenings -- I was too busy down at the Saddledome, immersed in the Brier (the men's national curling championship). See the pictures from my adventure here.

I worked with the two Canadian Curling Association staff to publish Tankard Times, the free tabloid daily newspaper, where I got to be the point-of-contact for most of the Mount Royal College Journalism students who wrote a range of pieces.

Apart from giving their work the once-over, I also managed to write two pieces of my own. It's been awhile since I've done that sort of print work, but it was a breeze to get back into it. Met some wonderful people, ran into an old friend, and stretched my brain.

And, at last, I can talk about one sub rosa project I was working on: this year's Fibre-to-Scarf Challenge organized by knitter extraordinaire Ted Myatt. Although I had until the end of June to finish, I knew that I needed to get it done sooner rather than later, and completed my mobius cowl in good order.

Now that I can talk about it, I've also made public some of the pictures I've taken of it in progress -- that's a look at one of the five bobbins of singles I spun up for the two-ply below.

F-to-S Singles

Update on my dental surgery: many thanks to everyone who's asked how I'm doing. Tooth came out fine, dental implant and some fluffy bone to replace it went in. There was a fair bit of pain, particularly when my stitches started to unravel a bit because of some other issues, which have now been resolved. Stitches came out yesterday and I'm on a short course of antibiotics "just in case" which has really made a huge difference: I actually slept through the night last night.

1 comment:

  1. Floods. Ick. Yarn. Yummy. Tooth. Empathy: I am off to take some Advil myself. It took almost 7 hours to get enough sensation back in my mouth to think eating sounded appealing. MUCH empathy.


Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.