Sunday 2 October 2011

Forever Autumn

(Fans of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, released in 1978 and a truly excellent adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel, will recognize the lyrics.

If you don't know the work, it is available on iTunes: highly recommended, although if you can find a vinyl copy, it comes with a great enclosure. The narration is read by the late Richard Burton, which is reason enough to listen, but the prog rock music is pretty darned good too.

If you like that sort of thing....)

The Rubicon, or not
The summer sun is fading as the year grows old
And darker days are drawing near
The winter winds will be much colder
Now you're not here.


Last weekend was so beautiful, but yesterday was cold, windy, and there were scattered rain showers. A typical Calgary fall day, in other words.

It's been a busy couple of weeks here: I've been out a lot, which is unusual. A job interview, some gallery openings, a lecture, a conference, some unexpected good news ( What I Felt returning from its two-year tour with the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Travelling Exhibition (TREX) show in immaculate condition), and a lot of end-of-September deadlines, all of which were met.

Now onto the next set, starting with a piece I have three days to build. Thankfully, I don't need to collect anything to do it, I have made sketches and done almost everything I need to do on the computer to finish it, and it's not a ginormous construction project.

Honk
I watch the birds fly south across the autumn sky
And one by one they disappear
I wish that I was flying with them
Now you're not here.


And I've also started the process of making like a hockey player and getting the puck out of here. My holiday vacation ticket is in hand, I've lined up a storage space for my worldly goods, and started counting down the days.

What remains
Like the sun through the trees you came to love me
Like a leaf on a breeze you blew away.


That doesn't mean it's all been smooth sailing, of course, but after seven months, there are moments that I almost feel like I'm not teetering on the edge of the big black hole.

Watercolour wash
Through autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way
You always loved this time of year
Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now
'cause you're not here.


If you want to see more of the pictures I've taken this fall, have a look at the entire set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.