Monday 19 November 2012

Now appearing on the big screen

Snowy pompom

After three straight months of working on my Windoze netbook, with its 11" display, it's such an utter joy to be back working on my iMac's 21" screen. Along with the fact that I can actually see what I'm doing, I'm also using a mouse instead of a trackpad, a keyboard that lets me type properly, and Adobe Creative Suite instead of Open Office and GIMP.

Which means getting back to the business of business, both arts and the kind that is more lucrative financially, is much easier and efficient.

One of the big paradigm shifts I underwent on the adventure away was the burning need to get back to real life (i.e., having a job, my own home, and the ability to keep myself in the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed), but I'm still feeling my way about what I want to do. It's not that I don't have skills and talents, but when I apply for the sort of jobs I'd like to do I'm usually overqualified for, I get oh, we aren't paying what you're worth and you wouldn't stick around long, and the jobs I'm not overqualified for go to someone younger. It's frustrating, to say the least.

From the road

I'm in much the same space figuring out where my art practice is going too: there's the summer 2014 plan that I do one or two things about most days ("waiting for an answer" is a thing, right?), but I'm not sure where it fits in the grand scheme of things, mostly because I haven't sketched out anything even remotely resembling "a grand scheme" lately.

So I'm working on that as well.

Changing light #1

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying drinking tea from my favourite mug, puttering around a familiar kitchen cooking for myself, and not having to endure citylag every seven days or so. And reading a lot, as I prepare to work as a Central Poll Supervisor for the upcoming Calgary Centre by-election next Monday.

Changing light #3

I'm also pleased to have been back to visit and photograph spun/adrift, now that it's had a chance to adjust to its environment, and vice versa. With the fresh snow and sunshine we had early last week, I had a chance to go check it out. Hope you like what it's doing: I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.