Thursday 22 November 2007

Atten-shun!

Snowman Army
The amount of holiday chocolate that's come through the doors of the chocolate shop I work at part-time is amazing: there are hundreds of Santas, trees, dreidels, and, indeed, snowmen stashed in the back room.

Spent three days in Vancouver, visiting type designer and letterpress guru Jim Rimmer's studio and having dinner with friends. Also took loads of pictures at the Capilano Salmon Hatchery for an upcoming book I'm knitting and writing, attended the Alcuin Society's Wayzgoose, and checked out Fibre Essence gallery with the amazing work of thr3fold.

It was the first time I had been back in Vancouver since my mother died there last year, and it felt strange to wander around with no specific parental-related errands or duties to do in far too many years.

Perhaps the best part of the trip was being able to have a few hours of my own Landscape as Muse time in Stanley Park (the Seawall, which had been closed after severe damage in storms a year ago, reopened on Friday), wandering the shoreline and parts of the rainforest, inhaling the fresh air, and revisiting some of the places I used to frequent both as a child and when I lived in the West End in the late 1970s.

While I came back physically tired, I returned with a renewed sense of purpose, charged up with additional ideas to combine with projects already in planning, and a desperate need to cook food in my own kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books for Sale

The shop is currently empty.